THE LIBRARY’S NEW GREEN INITIATIVE: EMAIL NOTICES
We are excited to announce our new green initiative of emailing library notices in an effort to save paper, time, and money. Libraries have been “green” from the start just by virtue of one of their core missions --- recycling books by allowing patrons to check them out multiple times.
The benefits of emailing notices are many:
- Notices get to borrowers faster. In the past, it may have taken one to three days for paper notices to reach mailboxes using “snail mail.”
- Reminder notices. We will now email courtesy notices to borrowers four days before checked-out material is due back to the library. The email reminders will allow borrowers the chance to renew materials or to return them, so fines can be avoided.
- Overdue notices will be sent via email after the due date. Paper notices will be sent to those who do not have current email addresses in our system.
- Reduction of the cost to the Library: Each email notice sent reduces the cost previously incurred by sending out paper notices.
- Environmentally friendly: Each email notice sent reduces the number of paper notices we must use. This effort not only helps save trees but also helps to conserve other resources used to produce paper (i.e., electricity and water).
Please note : If you are not receiving library messages via email, please add email@example.com to your address book or safe sender list.